ABOUT CELESTE WRONA
Meet the Artist
Celeste Wrona is an award winning Australian contemporary artist with over a decade of experience making and teaching visual arts. Her vibrant collection celebrates free-flowing form, texture, and colour, resulting in visually stunning pieces that are cementing themselves in today’s contemporary art scene. Celeste's original works and limited edition prints are held in private collections worldwide and have been exhibited nationally and internationally.
Celeste's work "Drifiting III" has recently featured on Channel 9's "The Block" in 2018 and her print "Release II" in the 2016 series. Celeste's print "Exhale VIII" also appeared on Channel 7's "House Rules" in 2017, her original artworks on Channel 9's Postcards in 2018 and "Awaken I" as a feature artwork currently on the set of Channel 7's House of Wellness. Celeste and her work have also been featured in a variety of well-known publications, both in print and online including Vogue Living, Inside Out Magazine, Art Almanac, The Age and Stellar Magazine with Neale Whitaker listing Celeste's print "Awaken III' as one of his "Objects of Desire".
“My studio practice embraces a dynamic and fluid art-making process. I combine methods and materials that juxtapose both a chaotic and intuitive process. I view my work as being multidimensional, something that resonates physically and emotionally with the audience. Being able to transform a phyiscal space into a mindful sanctuary that facilitates a deeper level of personal awareness, taking the viewer to another place. My goal is to invite the viewer to actively construct meaning that encourages them to consider, react, and respond on my work and their internal state simultaneously” - Celeste Wrona
Celeste was recently commissioned by the Ingham Institute of Medical Research in Sydney to create three artworks based on cancer cells as seen under the Merlin Microscope. Celeste was interviewed by Channel 7’s Natalie Barr on the process and concept behind these works. Celeste has explored the influence of science within her artmaking further though her artist residencies in 2017 at Monash University's Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute, Melbourne.
Celeste was born, in 1983 in Sydney Australia. As a child, she demonstrated a natural artistic ability and her passion and love for art throughout her adolescence lead her to pursue art professionally. Celeste successfully gained entry to the prestigious University of New South Wales, College of Fine Arts (COFA) in 2001. It was here that she further developed and refined her innate artistic skills as well as completed a Bachelor of Art Education degree.
In 2005, Celeste gained full tenure with the NSW Department of Education to teach Secondary Visual Arts. Celeste has taught many students that have also established themselves as successful artists. She finds great joy in moulding and watching students grow both intellectually and creatively each day.
After originally starting out as a traditional European-styled pencil artist, Celeste’s artmaking organically evolved in style and media, however, regardless of her material practice, she was always drawn back to the raw beauty and complexity of nature. Her paintings and mixed media works are indicative of a more sophisticated re-invigoration of style, colour, texture and form.
Celeste loves to get lost in the flux and flow of the artmaking process and is drawn in by the unpredictable nature and organic movement of working with inks and fluid painting. She invites the viewer to lose themselves within the picture and at the same time, the pictures themselves stare back and hold the viewer's reflective attention.
- 2018 AWAKEN - SOLO EXHIBITION, Gauge Gallery Glebe
- 2018 Fishers Ghost Art Award FINALIST, Campbelltown Art Centre, Campbelltown
- 2018 Regeneration, St Heliers St Gallery, Abbotsford, Victoria
- 2018 Thirteen 05 Gallery, Daylesford, Victoria
- 2017 Little Treasures, AWARD WINNER, Galleria De Marchi, Bologna, Italy
- 2017 ACMD Prize, St Vincent's Gallery, Fitzroy, Melbourne
- 2017 Fishers Ghost Art Award FINALIST, Campbelltown Art Centre, Campbelltown
- 2017 Magic Of Merlin, Inghams Institute of Medical Research, Annual Luncheon, Camden
- 2016 Fishers Ghost Art Award FINALIST, Campbelltown Art Centre, Campbelltown
- 2016 The Other Art Fair, The Commune, Sydney
- 2016 Practice What You Teach, M2 Gallery, Surry Hills
- 2016 The Gorge & Friends, Campbelltown Art Centre, Campbelltown
- 2016 Art For Change - Charity Auction and Exhibition, YGAP, Melbourne
- 2016 Opening Exhibition, Canvas Bar & Gallery, Kent St Sydney
- 2019 Neale Whitaker, "Cushioning the blow" Stellar Magazine, Sunday Telegraph, February 10th, 2019.
- 2018 Jess Layt, "Ruse artist excited to share new exhibition" Camden Advertiser, November 5th, 2018.
- 2018 Deborah O'Ferry, "Celeste Wrona's artworks turning heads for all the right reasons" Insider Style - The Block Shop Blog, October 11, 2018.
- 2018 Amy Collins Walker, "Meet teacher turned abstract artist Celeste Wrona" Interiors Addict, October 1, 2018.
- 2018 Hannah Francis, "Science meets art as Monash lab opens its doors to creatives" The Age, May 21, 2018.
- 2017 Wappato Media House, "Celeste Wrona" , Casual Magazine.
- 2017 Luisa Cogno, “Artist Celeste Wrona looks at cancer in a new light to help Ingham Institute for Applied Medical Research find a cure” Macarthur Chronicle Campbelltown, May 16, 2017.
- 2016 Tarik Elmerhebe, “Local Artist Helps Push Renovators to Victory” Macarthur Chronicle Campbelltown, October 11, 2016.
- 2016 Kayla Osborne, “Celeste Wrona inks her name on national art scene”, Camden-Narellan Advertiser, October 6, 2016
- 2016 Eric Kontos, “Campbelltown artist’s painting will rock The Block”, South West Voice, 30 September, 2016
- 2016 Francesca Wallace, “The Other Art Fair is coming to Sydney, again” Vogue Living, September 27, 2016 [Online http://www.vogue.com.au/vogue+living/arts]
- 2016 “The Other Art Fair partners with Saatchi Art and reveals 2016 artist list”, Art Almanac, 21 September, 2016 [Online http://www.art-almanac.com.au/2016/09/other-art-fair-2016/]
- 2016 David Brown “Contemporary Art by Celeste”, Your Home Annual, 2016.
- 2016 Jess Layt “Artist Ups Exposure with Block Shop Deal,” Fairfield City Champion, March, 2016.
- 2016 Jess Layt “Work Finds Fresh Fans,” Campbelltown Macarthur Advertiser, April, 2016.